[Lancaster] did some work on the server

Andy Baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon May 17 01:57:06 BST 2004

On Sunday 16 May 2004 21:23, Ken Hough wrote:
> Andy,
>
> Could the problem with refusal of 'X - broadcast' be associated with the
> Xaccess file? (under SuSE /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess) This file defines who
> can gain access and how.
>
> A simple asterisk allows anybody to gain access (ok to test -- Dangerous
> to normal use).
>
> In place of the asterisk, various users can be defined by specific
> addresses or by patterns.
>
> Aditionally, these users can be identified again followed on the same
> line by: CHOOSER BROADCAST

I looked at this, and all the other stuff max mentions on his website
(www.seedsforchange.org.uk - look under resources for an X terminal / server
howto). As far as I could see, it was all set up right. It also doesn't work
with the xdm display manager - the default one is gdm which is a bit more
complex.

/etc/X11/Xaccess has one line with just a *, and three lines with the ips of
all the terminals, with nothing following them.

I don't think it's an authentication problem, because as far as I remember,
when this is the problem there are more packets sent than just a xdmcp query
followed by an icmp 'connection refused': it's more like query - please
authenticate - send auth token - auth failed kind of thing. But i may be
wrong.

> I'm no expert, but I got this from "Remote X Apps mini-HOWTO" and as the
> man said, "It works for me".

I didn't think of it, but trying to run a remote X app from one of the
terminals on the server's display and vice versa might be a good halfway
house test to do. I.e. not the full xdmcp thing, just running a single app
over the network.

Another useful thing to have set up is ssh both ways between the server and
the terminals, to save running about the building.

> As we only have the one server, is there any good reason why we
> shouldn't use the address specific command 'X -query 192.168.3.2 :1'?

That's what I was doing.

> I hope to get down to the Folly either Tuesday or Wednesday and so could
> have a look at this. I would need access to the server. Please will
> someone advise me on this.

I should give taylor a ring and ask when he's about. If you can't get xdmcp
working quickly, maybe better to move on to something else that you think is
worth doing.

> Anyway, well done Andy. All information is helpfull.

cheers, and good luck with it next week.

andy.

--
Please don't send me html mail or un-notified attachments. These will be
automatically filed under 'probable spam' unless I'm expecting an email which