[Lancaster] radio broadcast archiving / streaming

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Tue Sep 21 09:15:53 BST 2004

Andy,

I managed to fire up 'jack' and 'ardour' OK under SuSE v9.1. I don't
understand them and so didn't progress. I guess my sound requirements
are relatively modest, so the likes of 'krecord', 'broadcast2000' and
'audacity' are OK. Haven't had any problems with these.

Tim Churchill was trying to use 'ardour' and he is involved with sound
processing on a semi-professional level. Maybe he could offer advice.

Ref. your previous posting about using a digital camera:
I was in North Wales over the weekend and a friend of mine and I went
bird watching to try out his telescope with a new digital camera (Nikon
CoolPix 4500). We both took laptops to download the images. My first
attempt using 'digicam' failed. This was because SuSE v9.1 had already
automatically recognised and mounted the camera as a USB hard drive. I
then copied files to my hard drive via 'cp'. Simple really! Then a bit
of adjustment of levels and some cropping via 'gimp' and we have some
eyecatching closeup shots of a kingfisher.

I was stuck with my 35mm SLR plus 500mm lens, but (I hope) got some fair
shots of herons, little grebes, kingfishers and little egrets.

I'm trying hard (not to) justify buying a digital SLR body.

Ken Hough