[Lancaster] Software Freedom Day

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Fri Aug 5 15:36:04 BST 2005

Kristof Van Laerhoven wrote:
> Hi Ken, all,
>
>  From previous experience with installfests, I think we shouldn't turn
> away people that prefer dual-boot installations (which is usually the
> majority, but we can try to persuade them once they show up). Key to
> getting enough people to show up with their laptops/PCs is to advertise
> it as much as possible - we can do posters locally here at the uni, and
> perhaps a few places in town?

I went the dual boot route to begin with. I still have a three dual
booting setups and they still work well, but I soon discovered how badly
wrong things can go when needing to do the inevitable re-installation of
MS Windows. I now understand how to avoid most of these problems, but
this entails not using the typical default dual boot setup.

I no longer bother with dual booting. Unless I'm doing something for
other people, I'm 100% Linux.

The fact that Linux is not presently guaranteed safe for writing to NTFS
partitions (ie MS Windows XP) also concerns me.

Contrary to what is commonly accepted and on the basis of hard
experience, I do not believe that dual booting for the non technical and
unsupported newbie is to be recommended. Problems will be seen as being
caused by Linux and not the by the real culprit.

If we do provide for dual booting, then the possible (likely?) problems
should be made very clear. Perhaps we should include a written
description/disclaimer.

On a different tack --  What kind of installation(s) should we provide?
I'm thinking here of someone who might turn up with a P166 containing
only 64MB of RAM. I can vouch for the fact that KDE/Open Office is a
waste of time on such a PC. Yes, it will run, but you might as well go
and have your dinner while it's loading or doing anything serious. I
know this, because I used to have such a machine. Using 'icewm' instead
of KDE helps, but it's still not exciting.

Looking back, the above comments could seem rather negative. That's not
intended, but disapointment is likely to reflect badly on Linux. We need
to get our act sorted. Comments gentlemen (and ladies?), please.

> I think our own computing building would be great as a place to hold
> this.. it has all the infrastructure, and Martyn suggested we could even
> ask the cafe to open up for the occasion.

Sounds good!

Ken Hough