[Lancaster] Fwd: help wanted for linux user in lancaster

Martyn Welch welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Mon Jun 5 16:06:20 BST 2006

Hi Guys,

Anyone willing to help?

Martyn

----------  Forwarded Message:  ----------

Subject: help wanted for linux user in lancaster
Date: Monday 05 June 2006 16:00
From: Steve Alexander <steve at canonical.com>
To: lancaster at lug.org.uk

Hi linux people,

My name is Steve.  I used to live in Lancaster, but now I'm in Vilnius,
Lithuania.

A few months ago, I was in Lancaster.  I visited my friend Neil, and
while I was there I saw that his Windows machine had all sorts of
keyloggers and spyware on it.

It wasn't possible to recover the system, because he had no original
CDs.  He uses the system only for the web, so I bought him an adsl
router to replace his USB adsl modem, and installed Ubuntu instead.

Everything was fine.  Neil found the system straightforward to use, and
didn't have any problems with firefox, even though he'd been used to the
AOL version of internet explorer.

When I spoke with Neil on the phone last week, he said that the computer
wasn't connecting to the internet anymore.  It could be a physical
connection problem, or it could be a configuration problem.  I asked him
to find a friend with a laptop to plug that into the adsl router, and
see if the laptop works.  That would tell whether the problem lies on
his ubuntu machine or if it lies elsewhere.

Neil doesn't know much about computers of any kind.  I mean, he knows
how to plug them in, and run programs from menus, use the web, and so on.

I want to help him out, so I'm looking for someone who would pop around
to Neil's house and find out what the problem is, and try to fix it.

So, is anyone interested in helping Neil out and getting his computer
working properly again, for some reasonable fee?

Mail me if you think you can help.

--
Steve Alexander

Martyn Welch (welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk)