[Lancaster] Re: openSUSE DVDs for Linux User Groups

David Smith lists at td-online.co.uk
Fri Jul 25 16:36:30 BST 2008

Ken,

Yeh, I know what you mean and the truth now is that there are a lot of
options for new converts.

Certainly, everything I've heard so far has done a lot to sing the
praises of both Mandriva and SuSE in terms of support - my biggest
problem in the past has been that I haven't given them enough time as I
was always trying to run them dual-boot - now that I can finally run
things easier and speedily in a VM I'll have to give them another try.

To Mandriva's credit, one thing I have been really impressed with has
been the 4Gb Flash stick. It worked pretty solidly on the few bits of
hardware I tried it in which, remembering back to the good old days of
Mandrake 9.2 was pleasant to see!

I do know what you mean about sudo and it's implementation - it
basically makes the computer as secure as the user is stupid out of the
box. And I agree, the workaround isn't pretty and doesn't help new users
at all.

Gnome vs KDE... well, I'll leave that one alone largely... :-) I'm very
much on the fence with it in as much as KDE was the first one I really
liked and used it for years but, equally, I feel pretty comfortable with
  Gnome these days as well from a 'clean-cut' perspective! Agreed that
KDE probably smacks MS-converts as being the easiest to get to grips
with but I don't believe Gnome is too alien anymore either!

Agreed though, the brown does get a bit depressing after a while!

Are you able to get down to the pub meet that's coming up? If so I'm
sure we can discuss this at length and compare desktops! ;-)

Dave