[Lancaster] Website

David Smith lists at td-online.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 16:49:27 UTC 2008

Hello!

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 20:36 +0000, Wayne Ward wrote:
> Hi hope all is well im just wondering if we have the username and
> passwords required for the LUG webspace yet as im dropping this server
> soon and could do with moving the lug site across soonish...

I certainly received mine. Although with being away I haven't had chance
to actually try it out yet.

> David and myself will be carrying the work out so if you have any
> requirements please ask. Also no one has taken the poster maker role for
> the lug! So ill guess ill end up doing it!!  So if you fancy a dabble
> say now or forever hold your peace!!!

I will have a go at a few at some point (probably nearer Christmas) but,
seeing as how my artistic ability hits a stumbling block somewhere
around stick men (the proportions are all wrong!), I wouldn't hold your
collective breath...

> Is anyone interested in the meeting tomorrow night or shall we just
> stick to the traditional monthly meeting this month until we sort out
> the project with andy?  ( i think this would be best cant see a lot of
> people turning up)

Bit late to reply to this anyway, but I can't do this.
As regards previous emails about it, I'd have to echo others at this
point and say I can't really see justification for meetings every week.
Every 2 weeks (especially with the format of 1 Week Beer, 1 Week Break,
1 Week Presentation / Demo / 'Specifics', 1 Week Break, repeat) would
work out best for me, although the 'middle' week could always be
sacrificed depending on people's commitments - we do always seem to have
more to discuss in one night than we have time for, but I'd rather have
it that way (and use this for overspill) rather than having two nights
with not enough to talk about. Personal opinion though... :)

> Hope all is well - Well im all settled in using ubuntu - and gnome! - I
> havent used gnome for over 7 years or so now, im very happy with it ive
> not its a lot slicker than kde 4!! I have the latest version of
> evolution which allows me to connect my - mail / calendar & emails on
> google, so ive changed mail hosting for free to google moved MX records
> and setup shared calendar and contacts etc so i have have a full sync
> between my google phone and evolution works perfectly! and without
> having to host my own kolab server!! google allows upto 200 users aswell
> and paid accounts can be setup for corporates!

Sounds pretty good. I've been happy with 8.04 so far on the work laptop
- still buggy in places, but that's the nature of the beast I guess -
haven't dared try 8.10 yet, but I haven't really been at home much to
play with different distros on my personal machines yet - I'm gearing up
slowly for going 64-bit on the desktop.

As regards Gnome, I have to admit, I do still rather like it. Much more
than I used to (started off as a KDE lover). As Ken says, KDE 4 is still
largely a work in progress and, without a sufficient machine to really
do a lot of VM testing with, I wouldn't like to comment further. First
impressions when I saw it on SuSE 11 were:
 - Sexy
 - Shiny

Once I get the desktop powered up properly I'll try a bit harder to
Virtualize some instances of it and have a proper play.
My main limiting factor at the minute is that I have really only two
applications that I love from the KDE 'suite' - Amarok and K3b. I've
been pleasantly surprised with Brasero as a Gnome alternative to K3b,
and Exaile is showing promise, but still doesn't quite match up to
Amarok for me!

Both have definitely got their plus points though... and let's not
forget XFCE and Enlightenment! ;)

> On android ...
> Quality phone ive now got a blog manager - facebook - wifi radar -
> picasa photo that connects to my online photo storage! terminal with
> full root ssh client and server! irc / msn and full mail contact
> calendar sync with google and evolution that just runs in the background
> with out any complication! Ive also sussed how to copy and paste which
> we couldnt do on the on the iphone!?
>
> So yes gnome + google + google phone = productive and happy!!!...

Will be very interested to see the Android in action at the next meet. I
just received the OpenMoko NeoFreeRunner handset today but have yet to
play with it. If I haven't bricked it by then, I'll bring it along to
compare notes! Should be quite interesting though.

Other than that, I hope all is well with everyone and not too hectic!
I'll try and set about with Wayne later this week for getting the site
moved across - I would guess we can always finalize it on the way -
certainly no harm in it being a Work in Progress for a good while!

Of course, let us know your feedback, how you find the usability of it,
things you'd like to see, things that don't work, etc.

Best,

Dave