[Lancaster] idea for regular computer evening at the Basement

Wayne Ward wayne at lancastercomputers.co.uk
Thu Oct 23 19:09:03 UTC 2008

On Thursday 23 October 2008 17:11:13 Ken Hough wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Thanks for that.
>
> So no 64 bit VMs? I assume that this applies even if I am running a 64
bit
> host OS.
>
> Ken Hough
>
> On Thursday 23 October 2008 14:41, you wrote:

> > > Many thanks for this simple guidance for a simple user.  :-)
> > >
> > > I guess that, I'll go with VirtualBox then.
> >
> > I had a look at some of these, earlier this year. VirtualBox is much
more
> > desktop-y than Xen, to the point of being downright easy. Drawback
is, it
> > won't do 64-bit VMs. I can't comment on its actual use, because
that was
> > a stopper for me, but it's certainly easy to install & have a look at.
> > Good first choice.

Yes i just run 32 bit operating systems i just have them in a paused state
incase anyone rings for tech support on XP / 2K / Vista (especially)
& linux
I can just walk them through a fix over the phone if required.
I cant tell talk you through vista's control panel of the top of my head its
far far to busy.
I had problems with the virtual box from the apt repository on kubuntu
so i got the deb file for ubunu hardy from here
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
it built the module added my self to the vboxusers and its working fine
just done a XP install
its handy for trying new distros without having to have another machine
or trashing my own box!!
--
Regards,

Wayne Ward