[Lancaster] Problem with Windows XP (Sorry)

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 7 18:07:59 UTC 2009

Sorry to mention XP on this site, but I've got a problem.

My quad core based PC is no longer working properly with Win XP although it's
perfectly OK with 64 bit Debian Lenny. I've done repeated installs of XP,
reformating the partition on each occasion, so I know that I've had clean
installs and Win XP seems to run OK.

The mobo is an Asus P5K SE EPU. This includes slots for both PCI and PCI
Express cards. My graphics card is PCI express and I have two PCI cards
inserted as follows:

-- a PCI Parallel printer port.  This modo doesn't have an on board parallel
port

-- a WinTV Nova TD500 digital TV card

Win XP doesn't recognise the PCI cards and software for the on-board sound
system cannot find the on board sound card. Everything is enabled in the
BIOS.

All of the hadware is recognised and correctly set up via Linux, so what is
going on?

Of course Win XP runs OK via VirualBox, but I need access to hardware other
than just USB ports.