[Lancaster] Lancaster Library

jonath j at jonath.co.uk
Wed Nov 25 16:57:19 UTC 2009

I think the idea of these workshops is fantastic and if I can help in
any way, please let me know. Trouble is, like most people, I work
full-time but can spare some time on week-day evenings or perhaps over
the weekend.

I'd like to know what help is needed and what the aim of these
workshops is. Who will be attending? What will our role be? What PCs
will be there? What's the network set-up? Will there be wireless and
wired internet?

If it's the interested public attending, we really need to be pushing
the idea of Linux representing a secure and recommended method for
conducting on-line financial transactions. No dodgy malware, viruses,
trojans, etc., lurking in the background on a Linux PC, after all. Of
course, there's all manner of other angles to approach from, but I
reckon most people can relate to that.

But yeah . . . it all sounds like a brilliant idea, so please let me
know what I can do to help. I should mention my areas of expertise:
database administration (Oracle, MySQL), programming (Perl, PHP), CGI
stuff (i.e. linking the scripting and the databases together), Gentoo.
Probably like everyone else here, I can offer advice regarding
security, PC hardware, networking (wired and wireless) and general
stuff like that.

regards,

jonathan