[Lancaster] Training

Ken Walton ken.walton at carandol.net
Wed Nov 25 19:01:09 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

I know I never turn up to meetings, so my contribution has to be
somewhat dubious...

But I'd tend to agree with Andy on this. I use Linux for everyday
computing stuff -- word processing, email, web browsing, listening to
music, watching DVDs, and that's what most of the people I know use
their computers for. I have persuaded a few people to use Linux instead
of Windows, despite not being techy types. The things that seem to
impress them are that it's not really that different to use than
Windows, and that there's none of that faffing about with virus checkers
and defragging the hard drive and all that stuff -- it's a lot more
maintenance-free than Windows. You can just get on with what you want to
do, mostly.

Most of the people I know who avoid Linux do so because of the
perception that it's all about typing arcane commands and being very
technical and geeky, when in fact, for the average (non-game playing)
user, a computer installed with (for instance) Linux Mint needs *less*
computer skills than a computer installed with Windows.

Of course, the sort of people (like me) who use their computers for
ordinary everyday things are unlikely to want to sit around in pubs
talking about geeky things, so while you might get more people using
Linux, you wouldn't necessarily get any more members for the LUG.

I guess it depends what you think the purpose of the meetings is. :-)

--
Ken (but not *the* Ken) Walton