[Lancaster] Problem recording sound

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 14 16:04:58 UTC 2010

Wayne, et al,

WRT my problem with an on-board sound card:

After a lot of testing and playing with the various channels on KMix, I'm now
fairly sure that the sound card is duff! I have attached an image file of an
attempt to record sound via this card using Audacity.

You will see that no sound is recorded on the lower channel. That on the upper
channel is nothing but noise. Also, you will see that there is a
positive 'DC' (?) offset on both channels which switches on and off as I
enable/disable the corresponding Capture channel on KMix.

As I stated previously, this problem is happening under Debian on my main
desktop PC. I have similar problems when running under Win XP.

I've now run Kmix/Audicity on an old Athlon box under Debian with a
Sounblaster Live PCI card. This works just fine, so I don't think that I'm
missing anything relating to Debian, KMix and Audacity.

I have a spare PCI sound card, but my problem mobo (ASUS P5K SE/EPU) has only
two PCI slots which are taken up with a PCI parallel port card (no on-board
parallel port) and a Hauppauge Win TV digital TV card.

I could buy a PCI Express sound card (3 spare PCI e slots), but this wouldn't
be cheap.

SO.......I've decided to go for a replacement mobo (ASUS P5Q SE2) which will
cost about the same as a PCI e sound card. This mobo has 3 ordinary PCI slots
and an on-board sound card. Should the on board sound card fail, I would
still have room for a plug-in card in the third PCI slot.

Ho hum!  That's life!

Ken Hough