[Lancaster] wireless routers

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 18 10:05:58 UTC 2010

Andy,

I sent a message on this topic, but it is presently being held up pending
clearance by moderator. I guess that this is because I attached an image
file, so here is the message without the attachment:

My Netgear DG834GT ADSL/wi-fi/4 port ethenet router has served me very well.

Wi-fi provides b and g speeds (plus a 2x g speed, but that requires a Windows
driver). This model is now quite old. Wi-fi range is OK around my 3 bedroom
bungalow, but you might need to think about siting of the router for a 3
storey house.

I guess that this router includes what you want. eg wi-fi encryption,
firewall, access restriction via MAC address, DHCP server, etc. It does
include for WPA/WPA2 although I've left it on the WEP setting that I started
with. Yes, I know this isn't great, but with MAC restriction, it does OK for
me.

Hey, I live out in the sticks!   ;-) And the router is switched on only when I
need to use the Internet.

I've attached an image file which shows the main screen/menu.
(NOT included here)

My broadband account is with BT which provides me with a very reliable link at
around 2700 kbps. Not bad, bearing in mind that as the crow flies, I'm 6 to 7
km from my local exchange. I'm sure that the copper lines are significantly
longer than this!

Even at peak times, the link doesn't slow down much and email gets through in
a matter of seconds.

BT insisted on giving me one of their flashy looking routers which IMHO is
rubbish! It's physically quite large and stands up vertically. Very obvious!
It includes a holder/socket for one of their flashy phones which isn't
included, and takes forever to boot/connect to the broadband service.

My Netgear device is small and flat, and boots/connects in approx 15 seconds!

Hope that this helps

Regards

Ken Hough