[Lancaster] Hosting - WebFaction

Richard Robinson llug_6a at beulah.qualmograph.org.uk
Fri Dec 6 15:48:49 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 05:11:57PM +0000, serko wrote:
> Ι actually switched to Webfaction after Andy's recommendation, and
> although it lay there unused for a while, over the last few
> months I've come to put it to good use. Specificaly I have set up a
> phpbb forum and Mediawiki instance for a community project I'm involved.
> This is no way makes me an 'advanced' webfaction user, but for what it's
> worth, in my experience it's a really good service providing a great
> amount of flexibility. One thing to take note from a personal experience
> though. They do provide shared MySql instances if you want to knock
> something together as fast as possible, but I found that this often
> creates "too many connections" error as the mysql instance is shared
> among users of the same machine. They do however allow you to set up
> your own Mysql instance which cannot be shared with anyone (and solves
> the mentioned problem), but this process is not automatic, it takes a
> little configuration but it's worth it.

That's worth noting, ta, and one I might possibly run into. If I did need to
do the latter, would that then run in my own memory allocation ? I'm seeing
the way that you only rent the RAM for your own stuff as a major gain,
compared with running a whole VPS.

Not a major issue (I don't think), just a point of interest - it's looking
very much like this is worth at least a tryout.

--
Richard Robinson