[Lancaster] Firewall problem

Mark Keating m.keating at shadowcat.co.uk
Thu Jul 21 09:15:40 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I still watch the list and try to keep engaged and I am still active in
the UK OS scene.

The FLOSSUK Spring DevOps Conference is in Manchester next year (they
used to be UKUUG but re branded to cover more open systems, it isn't
just Unix anymore there's Open Data, Open Hardware etc). If you can
manage it could be worth a punt (it is likely to be expensive but they
will have at least one social that could be gatecrashed by local
Unix/Linuxers)

-Mark

On 21/07/2016 08:54, Wayne Ward via Lancaster wrote:
> Hi ken hope all is well yes i keep my eye on here and its quite
> been meaning to getting round to creating my new lug in morecambe for a
> while but ive never managed to get it geared in !
> im always up for a meet and linux chat!
>
> do you know what ports are required to be open
> i see 8612 needs to be open am i correct
> also is this UDP or TCP or both
>
> what command are you using to open that port?
>
> in the Gufw gui are you stating that this port is open tcp/udp and
> allowed?
> and have you looked at the logs
>

> Regards
> Wayne Ward :)
>
> PS how are the others guys out there are you all still with us!?
>

> On Wed, 2016-07-20 at 16:32 +0100, Ken Hough via Lancaster wrote:
>> Hi guys, long time no meet/talk.
>>
>> I need some help wrt firewall settings.
>>
>> My main PC (Core 2 Quad Q9550 with 8GB RAM) runs Debian Jessie, I use
>> Firefox,
>> KMail, etc with iptables configued via gufw. No problems.
>>
>> I recently set up my Canon Pixma MG5650 printer/scanner to operate
>> via wifi
>> which it does correctly provided that the firewall is disabled. I've
>> tried
>> various firewall settings that I've seen recommended via the
>> Internet, but
>> without success.
>>
>> Can any of you gurus help me?
>>
>> Ken Hough
>> Kendal

Mark Keating             |   Writer, Photographer, Cat-Herder
Director                 |   Shadowcat Systems Limited
                              Enlightened Perl Organisation
                              Lancaster and Morecambe Makers
Community Contributor    |   The Perl Foundation
                              Enlightened Perl Organisation
                              Lancaster and Morecambe Makers
                              FLOSSUK
Social Links             |   http://shadow.cat/blog/mark-keating/
                              http://linkedin.com/in/markkeating
                              @shadowcat_mdk

Shadowcat Systems Limited
Is a Company registered in England and Wales.
Company address: The Barracks, White Cross, South Road, Lancaster, LA1 4XQ.
Company Registration Number: 05420396.
Company VAT Number: 868 9313 71

Disclaimer
of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of
the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shadowcat Systems Limited.

upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you
have received this email in error immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or
make copies thereof.