[Lincs] noob lurking around the edges

Dave Pearson davep at davep.org
Mon Aug 23 09:25:59 BST 2004

* Peter Cooper <peter at petercooper.co.uk> [2004-08-21 18:01:45 +0100]:

> Your mail has triggered my memory a bit, and I realised I actually do run
> anti-virus on a mail server ;-) So, I'll recommend ClamAV to anyone who's
> interested, which is a free virus scanner, and is currently killing all
> the nasties in my e-mail.. <g>
>
> http://www.clamav.net/

I'll second that; I've been running ClamAV since around the start of the
year and it works really well. While I don't and never have used Windows for
email and, accordingly, Windows malware in email isn't an issue for me in
terms of possible infection and the like it is nice to be able to filter out
the malware into their own folder (or /dev/null if you trust the filter
enough) so they don't clog up your main folders.

For junk mail, I swear by spamprobe <URL:http://spamprobe.sourceforge.net/>.
It works terribly well. I've got a junk mail folder going back to the 1st of
April this year (I keep the stuff so I can monitor how things are working
and so I can re-train spamprobe in case I ever manage to muck up its
database) and the filtering results are like this at the moment:

,----
| procmail rule                                      Junked   %age
| ================================================== ====== ======
| spamprobe said so                                    2499  99.36
| To davep.news but no 're:' in subject                   5   0.20
| Wasn't sent to me                                       3   0.12
| To hagbard.demon.co.uk                                  3   0.12
| HTML email                                              2   0.08
| Veggie says sender is black listed                      2   0.08
| Used harvested davep.news address                       1   0.04
|                                                    ------
|                                                      2515
|
| Not caught by procmail                                  4
|
| Hit rate: 99.84%
`----

The other procmail rules listed above as just that: hand crafted rules that
check various things. I used to have a very *long* procmail file for
checking for junk (this dates from the days way before actual UCE filters
started to appear) and those listed above are about the only ones left 'cos
spamprobe does the rest.

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/