[Lincs] LLUG Distro

Dave Rice dave at ricey.co.uk
Sat Sep 24 14:12:22 BST 2005

Right, here's the state of play....

after many hours of fiddling/compressing/testing/research and being
chowed at by the better half for not being good company!

I've come to a couple of conlusions!

1. This isn't as straight forward as we first imagined!  (well a bit)

2. Including more than one window manager is a right pain and generates
more problems than it solves:
    No current livecd that i've tried starts you off with a login screen
so you can choose user/windowmanager.
    They all have no passwords for their users, sudo appears to be the
way forward for all.
    This then leads to not being able to log off/on using a different
windowmanager without setting a user password first
    Setting a password on the cd can't be done without major digging as
the user is created at boot time!

Overall, i beleive the best way forward is a plain customisation of
gnoppix/kubuntu livecd

Changing only a few packages and making it look the way we want to.

To that end we need to make 2 immediate choices:

1. What to use as a base...which is connected to:
2. KDE or Gnome

The option , however, to install other WMs after HDD install exists and
works well with, at least, gnoppix (subsequently installing KDE worked a
treat out of the box).

I also got round the compression problem of all those files not fitting
on the CD, they do now, so dropping a WM should give us plenty of room
(had to create a new ext2 filesystem cloop file! - that took some digging!)

There is also one thing i can't figure out...in gnoppix the booting
animation (splash screen) apparently uses gfxboot....but can i find the
relevant files, such as the image it uses?......no....help!

So..... and the stage after - themeing.

We don't need to go overboard, but a nice boot image, splash screen, and
desktop background are the minimum. 'borrow' a nice icon theme perhaps
and a complementary colour scheme.

Personally i like KDE but the new gnome2.12 as looking good too, gnoppix
is a sound base (ubuntu) for customisation also.

I await your feedback

kind regards

Ricey