[Lincs] Lincs LUG: relaunch?

Rebecca Newborough bobobex at bobobex.org
Fri Aug 19 15:27:33 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 3:37 PM, iain Baker <iain.dbaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, thanks for promoting me becky, my phone has obviously been ignoring my
> email for a while...
>
> First for your questions:
> Yes I would attend... I attended the first real life meeting, the bcs joint
> meet, and the pub meet... If I am available I'll be there
> I don't expect anything, any kind of meet is good
> As for locations, I'm as flexible as I am on the meet content
>
> Now to respond to the rest of the thread...
> Unfortunately because of the geographical size of the lug and peoples
> commitments it has been incredibly difficult to organise a meet that keeps
> more than 10% happy (me and mark tried - me and dave tried). Its frustrating
> because while quiet, the lug has lots of proactive energetic members that
> want to see it succeed, that get all enthused every time a rebirth is
> mooted... Unfortunately that enthusiasm wains when results aren't instant or
> close enough...
>
> as for the current administration, there isn't one. I believe Chris Lingard
> is still registered as owner withlug.org.uk but he handed the reigns to mark
> a decade ago, who in turn gave it to me when he moved back to germany.
>
> The members have always been against the idea of formal membership, and a
> proper 'board' preferring the borg collective methodology... Hence each re
> birth failing to last too long.
>
> I am not protective of any position, assumed or otherwise with in the lug
> and welcome your enthusiasm and fresh ideas. I will happily help you work
> any aspect of the revitalisation if this sleeping giant. With the depth of
> knowledge and experience in the lug we could do a lot for every kind of
> user.
>
> Iain

Hi Iain

Thank you for your response.  If I could get 10% of the members
together for a meet, I would be happy.  Even if just one person turned
up, I would be happy!  Geography is not a barrier in my book - if
people want to attend something worthwhile, then they will regardless
of distance needed to travel.  The energetic and proactive LUG members
that you talk about will decide for themselves whether they think the
LUG will succeed, and I am confident that I am the right person with
enough drive and enthusiasm to make this a success.  Give me a chance
to prove myself :D

You talk about there being no current administration and this was what
my original email to you was about.  According to the lug.org.uk
website, the contact details for Lincolnshire LUG shows you as current
contact/LUGmaster, yet nothing has happened on the website, the
mailing list or regarding a meet-up for years.  This by its own
definition and the lug.org.uk's website definition deems that the LUG
is dead.  You stated above that Chris passed the reins to Mark, and he
in turn passed them to you.  All excuses or reasons behind this aside,
I am now asking if you can pass them onto to me?  I would like the
handover between us to be amicable and would prefer not to use the
lug.org.uk admins.

I cannot speak for what has gone before regarding a "formal"
board/membership for the members, however, times and attitudes change
so that may not be the case now.  I am proposing a complete reset of
the LUG which will include all of the existing members and bringing
new ones on board.  If you really want to see this "sleeping giant"
revitalised, I hope that I can depend on you to pass over the
Lincolnshire LUG master position and associated web properties
(facebook & identi.ca).

I look forward to seeing you at the first meeting and I hope that I
can depend on your continued support of the Lincolnshire LUG.

Kind regards

Becky