[Liverpool] Linux Format Writeup

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 25 16:18:36 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 15:41, Daniel Hulme wrote:

> Mindful of your .sig, perhaps we could add something on co-operation
> between neighbouring LUGs?
> Although younger than some of its brethren throughout Merseyside,
> Liverpool LUG hopes to build relationships with its neighbours, perhaps
> organising joint events in future and, eventually, a regional
> conference. When enough Linux users are brought together in one place,
> anything could happen.

Hello Daniel,

Yes, that's great. I've been wondering about something
like this for a while, which is why I'm in all 10 LUGs in
the region =^)

btw I'm trying to organise a meeting in Chester between
Cheshire and N Wales LUGs - anyone here interested?

> or some such cliche, perhaps with an exclamation mark at the end to make
> us look spontaneous. How are we on length? I'm a master of padding out
> or compressing essays to fit tight word limits.

We have 267 words out of 350 needed. The asterisks indicate the
blanks to be filled....

The rapidly-growing Liverpool LUG fills a void
for Merseyside Free Software users looking for
mutual support. Following the demise of the
previous University-only LUG, the many GNU/Linux
users and admins in the city have had no forum in which to air their
views and ideas about Free Software,
nor anywhere to turn for advice on kernel compilation options or
programming styles.

The new group has a webpage up at

***

but communication between members is concentrated on
the mailing list
http://

***

The first meeting is planned for December 15th at

***

- who have generously sponsored the LUG with a meeting
venue and ???

***

Liverpool's Free-Software scene is thriving, building on the city's
existing reputation as a centre for high-tech companies to do business.
Big players like Sony and Psygnosis [maybe someone can think of a
better example], who have had studios in Liverpool for years, are now
being joined by Free Software start-ups like ...

[Onteca aren't entirely Free Software - does anyone have a
better example?]

***

Although still young, the LUG has already brought together people who
use GNU/Linux in a variety of ways: in academic research, to run their
company, or just as a hobby. We hope that this diversity will help all
the members to gain insight into the different perspectives and
experiences other users have, and to provide a wider
range of knowledge to draw from.

Future plans for the LUG include a LAN party using only open-source
software.

--
Free Software in the North-West:
http://www.sc.lug.org.uk/           Cheshire Free Software Group