[Liverpool] meeting report

tony burrows tony at tonyburrows.uklinux.net
Thu Mar 24 15:48:25 GMT 2005

David Watson wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:12:32 +0000, Richard Smedley
><richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

>>Is anyone going to tell us what happened at the meeting?
>>
>> - Richard
>>
>>--
>>"The user-friendly computer is a red herring. The user-friendliness of
>>a book just makes it easier to turn pages. There's nothing
>>user-friendly about learning to read." - Alan Kay
>>

>Hey Richard,
>
>I will be posting something today or maybe tomorrow, there should be
>quite a bit for you to read (when I get around to typing it up).
>
>Strugling with a dying laptop atm, the battery died about 6 months
>ago, the power connector keeps falling out and now the screen won't
>come on.  Just got the go ahead to order a replacement.  Looking at
>the Toshiba Pro A60, anyone have any experience with them.

Mine is a Dell Inspiron 8500.  Adequate but pricey, I only got it
because the insurance company issued it as a replacement for one I
dropped (which was a local from DNUK).

Looking at Richard's signature reminded me of a TV broadcast on IT I
used to show my classes, with the quote:

"Most software is about as user-friendly as a cornered rat!"

from a senior developer in a large company.

Tony