[Liverpool] Darwin Streaming Server and SuSe computer unexplained extinction

Iain MacGranthin iaingmacg at mac.com
Wed Jun 27 21:25:00 BST 2007

I have a couple of issues I could do with discussing:

1 Streaming Servers

I have been trying to run a streaming server over my household
network without any success using a MAC Powerbook with Tiger OS X 10.4.

I would have been using SuSe Linux, but that comes next.

I am not finding it easy - I believe I have done what I should have,
the file plays on the streaming laptop using the rtsp address, but it
won't play over the WLAN.

I could do with some help, as I want to dig into streaming and get to
know it a little more for testing - I test mobile phone software, and
for running stuff over the net, eg internet radio.

Can anyone get in touch and assist?

2 SuSe Power management

I dramatically lost my SuSe 10.2 computer a while ago.  I thought it
was hibernating, but it wont come alive again even with unplugging
etc.  There is no video signal coming through when trying another
graphics card, and the only drive that seems to have life is the DVD
drive.

I had been having trouble getting the screen saver and power
management to work, as it never seemed to kick in, and so I tried
setting some clear parameters for screen save, disk activity, system
hibernate, but now I don't seem to have that problem, as this
happened shortly after.  Needless to say I superstitiously wondered
if I had awoken a gremlin...

otherwise I guess I could be facing a motherboard replacement and
reinstallation, even though I only built the system less than 3 years
ago from new...

... this is a pretty longshot, but if any one has had a similar
experience and diagnosed it I would be interested to hear from them...

Regards to all and hope your cpu's are cool.

Iain