[Liverpool] Re:Bringing the U back to LUG

Omar Baqueiro obaqueiro at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 23:13:18 GMT 2008

Just some thoughts from a foreigner Linuxer.

I used to be member of a LUG (about 10 ppl, mostly undergrads) back in
Mexico (before coming to study here) and  we had meetings every two
weeks. Even if there was no "formal" presentation. People proposed a
theme (usually a program) and it was discussed during the meeting day.
As the meeting progressed, other issues started showing.

Of course as you can imagine, due to the "loco"-happy  character of us
Mexicans, the meetings were *very* lay back and sometimes  (well...
usually more often than not) very unordered.

Now, I acknowledge that I have not been to any meeting in this LUG
since I arrived Liverpool (I am guilty... unfortunately the PhD
consumes really a lot of my time) however when I have seen information
about the meetings they seem very very formal.

Maybe a specific presentation is not needed to meet together to talk
about Linux. Instead, for example a *theme* for each day might be more
appropriate as for example "Open Source CRM" systems, or "CMS" or IDEs
or graphical designing packages or whatever else as a central theme,
and then, other news and information could also be discussed.

Well, those are my $.02 MX (which btw are like £0.001).

Cheers,

Omar.