[Liverpool] Multi-Boot Query

Dan Lynch biglynchy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 20:56:39 UTC 2009

Fair enough, maybe I didn't read the question closely enough but I still
think comparing it to asking for porn is a bit rich, you're
sensationalizing. I admire your intensity and desire to defend Free Software
but I just don't see how berating people and attacking people in the first
response to a post helps anyone. It drives people away. Maybe you would say
we don't want these people but how are people supposed to learn if they're
scared to approach us. If he goes off and just installs 3 versions of
Windows now because he's been attacked by a bunch of Linux geeks and tells
friends to avoid Linux and people who use it because we're all unfriendly
what has this done for our cause? Absolutely nothing. I respect that you're
trying to tell this guy it's not the right place to ask a Windows question
and I agree but I just think the attacking tone was out of keeping with the
spirit of our group as I see it.

You could have just said "This isn't the right place to ask a Windows
question, you'll have to try somewhere else sorry". There's no need to get
aggressive. Sorry, you may not like it but that's how I feel and I felt the
initial response needed balancing out to show we are reasonable human
beings. I know you weren't trying to be politically correct and to me my
mind this has nothing to do with political correctness, it's just basic
civility. I would hope we can be an approachable group and while we're not
here to answer Windows questions I think we can engage with the wider world
to spread out message. Preaching to the converted gets you nowhere.

Like I said I'm not trying to start a fight I just thought the initial
response was too harsh, maybe others disagree, it's up to you. Everyone has
the right to their own opinion