[Liverpool] Group Future (Was: Places To Drink)

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Fri May 8 10:25:02 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 01:50:44AM +0100, Dan Lynch wrote:
> That place was pretty cool actually. As long as we could get the bigger room
> it could be pretty good I think. Interesting that you mention debating as
> this is mostly what happened at the Wetherspoons last time. Not about open
> source but mainly about films, music, which numbering system is best and
> 80's synthesizers. Now there's an odd bunch of topics :)
>
> I'm sure we could mix in some open source and other techy subjects though. I
> dunno how others will feel but it might be a good idea to see what the
> people at the pub have to say. Can't hurt to find out and then decide if
> it's the right venue

Again, we're slipping away from the L in LUG :)

Not this is a bad thing, I've said a few times about moving the group to
a more general "free software" group, as it's turning out as time goes
on that the actual need for a LUG is very low.

So, lets put it onto the table. Heres a few ideas/actions I have
spinning around my head, possible routes so to say:

1) Should Liverpool LUG be changed into a "Free / Open Software" group,
this in turn will remove the focus of Linux within any meetings and
generally cover the usage of free / open software in any area, arts,
computing, and modern life.

2) A new group group to be formed under the above ideals and Liverpool
LUG reborn into a pure Linux user group.

3) Changing Liverpool LUG into a general geek group, coverting art,
music, development and geekery. Much like GeekUp but less emphasis on
Web 2.0 and web development.

4) Stay the same.

I'm interested in what other people think, lets get some discussion
going.

--
Andrew Williams
w: http://tensixtyone.com/