[Liverpool] Administrivia

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Sat Jul 2 22:12:26 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 20:13 +0100, Dan Lynch wrote:

> I'd actually been thinking about the situation with the website just
> recently and wanted to discuss fixing it.

Ah, I was just cheeky and went ahead and did it ;-)

> This was prompted by someone asking me for details about LivLUG and
> having to explain that our website doesn't work right now. That can't
> be right for a group of geeks like us, it's embarrassing.

Aye.  Not having a web presence was definitely hampering our image.

> We should be using resources like this to help new people find us and
> get involved. Right now it's difficult for people to find meetings.

Quite right.  I wonder how many people have never been because there
hasn't been a place to get information about the group.

> I know we have the mailing list but that's just one channel and I
> think we need to offer more options. I'm willing to help out with this
> as much as I can. Take a turn making announcements, build up the
> website, maintain it and share any other jobs.

As you can probably see from the wiki page I threw together, I tend to
see the mailing list as pretty central.  I'm not sure what other options
there are for meeting announcements?  I suppose we could make an RSS
feed?  But then if someone can subscribe to an RSS feed, they surely can
subscribe to an email list?

With having static information on a web site, there's the issue of
letting people know where we're meeting.  I suppose we could just always
meet at the Social Centre, regardless of whether there's a talk?

Lots to discuss here I reckon.

> Maybe we could all discuss this at the meeting on Wednesday. Decide
> how we want to go forward.

Aye, I was going to suggest the same thing :-)  In fact there's some
other issues I wanted to discuss as well:

* Holding meetings on a Saturday.  I brought this up a little while ago
  but it hasn't gone much further.  I was thinking of having some
  meetings (not talks) on Saturday afternoon.  Possibly alternating
  monthly between Saturday and Wednesday.  Or having an additional
  meeting on Saturday during the month (I know others have expressed an
  interest in having more frequent meetings).

* Holding an install-fest or a hands on beginners session where people
  can come along and try Linux.  (See my other Social Centre email for
  more about that.)

Bob

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>