[Liverpool] Maemo - back from the ashes?

Andrew Bates oscillik at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 01:27:54 UTC 2011

It's not actually a true MeeGo phone, it is Maemo Harmattan...Nokia had
already announced a long time ago that the Harmattan codebase would be
referred to as MeeGo, without it actually being true MeeGo. As far as I
know, the only underlying technology that links them is the fact that this
N9 (sporting Harmattan) will be using Qt applications as native
applications, instead of the case with the N900 and Maemo 5 (Fremantle) in
which Qt support was an add-on afterwards. So, to reiterate, the N9 that is
supposedly running MeeGo, is actually just running what was going to be
called Maemo 6. This is just another way for Nokia to confuse things.

Just look at the way that Nokia has 'supported' every other Maemo device
(and for clarification, by Maemo, I include the preceeding OS200x releases
too, since Nokia retroactively renamed those to Maemo). Nokia will drop this
quicker than Sony Music dropped Jedward from their books.

As someone who paid £499 for the N900 in December 2009 (the month of
release), only to be told that Maemo was 'dead' by February 2010, I would
highly advise people considering buying the N9 to do their homework. I would
also advise to weigh up the pros and cons, and if you're going to buy the N9
be prepared for maybe 6 months of support from Nokia. If I recall correctly,
I believe that we had a maximum of 8 months support, and around 5 software
updates. At the end of which, the 'phone' was only just usable for the
functions it was sold as (by this I'm referring to the front-facing camera,
which even still looks so grainy you'd swear you're back in the 1920s)

Am I bitter? Yes, of course I'm bitter. Should you heed my words?
Absolutely. Especially if you're expecting any kind of meaningful support
from Nokia. Something they have never really been too great at when it comes
to software updates.

Anyway, end of rant :-p