[Liverpool] Maemo - back from the ashes?

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 08:28:19 UTC 2011

On 23/06/11 02:14, Andrew Bates wrote:

> As someone who paid £499 for the N900 in December 2009 (the month of
> release), only to be told that Maemo was 'dead' by February 2010, I
> would highly advise people considering buying the N9 to do their
> homework. I would also advise to weigh up the pros and cons, and if
> you're going to buy the N9 be prepared for maybe 6 months of support
> from Nokia. If I recall correctly, I believe that we had a maximum of 8
> months support, and around 5 software updates.

I can't find any reason to disagree with your point of view. Nokia not
supporting properly one of their greatest phones and platforms is plain
dumb of them (and annoying for us :-) ). However, I would say that if I
would ever buy a N9, it wouldn't be in the hope that Nokia would support
it. It would be more for the community around the Maemo/Meego platform,
and the fact that it is more easily hackable (in my opinion) then the
Android - due to it's architecture, and due to, what seems to me, less
control from the top then is the case with Android.

Also, somehow, deep in my heart, there is still something I really like
about how Nokia does hardware, compared to other mobile manufacturers.

Sebastian