[Liverpool] Hosting my own email servers - part 547!

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Mon Jul 31 15:14:29 UTC 2017

On 31/07/17 08:38, Sebastian Arcus via Liverpool wrote:
> On 26/07/17 19:40, jn1057 via Liverpool wrote:
>> Hi everyone!
>>
>> Another update.
>>
>> Finally seemed to have found a system that I'm looking for!#
>
> I've noticed this thread a little late, but here it goes. In spite of
> the fact that email has been around for so long and is so widely used,
> it can end up pretty complex to setup and maintain - specially when/if
> things go wrong. An easy way into it might be to setup some pre-packaged
> solution - but if you use it long term, sooner or later you will have to
> delve deeper under the bonnet and understand things. If learning is the
> point of the exercise, it is definitely worth it. If privacy is the only
> reason, I'm not sure the total effort is really justifiable.

I realise my previous message sounds a bit unfinished. What I meant is
that, if privacy is the main goal, maybe finding a provider which
already offers the level of security/privacy required might be a better
idea and better use of time. After all, data held in a poorly configured
system under your own control can be as vulnerable as data in a system
under somebody else's control.

On the other hand, if you want to learn about email servers (and the
associated tech, such as DNS, encryption certificates, spam filtering,
antivirus filtering etc.) - then it's a wonderful idea :-)