[Malvern] Streaming.

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Mon Jan 15 19:27:53 GMT 2007

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 12:08:42PM +0000, Geoff Bagley wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> There is no problem getting BBC stations to stream OK using Realplayer.
> Previously, I was told that I did not have the right decoder, or the
> audio was VERY poor.

Realplayer is not good, very spywaretastic.

> I then did an apt-get install alsa*
> and that put in the remaining alsa files.
> It is now OK using Firefox, but not tried Lynx.

It's pretty trivial to throw some code together to generate some test tones
and play them out of the sound card.  You must have the Linus speech thing
somewhere on your system.  If you can play that without distortion, you've
cracked it.

> Chris suggests typing in the URL.
> I have not tried that since I loaded the other alsa files - and that was
> only yesterday !
> Chris -  when you DO type in the URL to stream,  what browser do you use
> - Lynx ?

Browser?  Browser?  Command line!!

> The only issue I want to look at now is the gain distribution.  I could
> have overload somewhere in the chain.  I am going to try the head-set with
> no cheapo amplifier anywhere in the chain.
>
> The other issue of ISO/OSI  seven layer models was academic.
> I like to have some idea of how things work.

RTSP is just another protocol on top of TCP as far as I know.  Mplayer deals
with all the buffering to cope with network latency.

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR