[Menai-LUG] OT Introductions

TJ ug99006 at informatics.bangor.ac.uk
Wed Feb 19 15:43:00 2003

Hi

I've been using Linux now for 4 years, the last 1.5 of
which it has been my primary OS (windows only
used for some games).

For that 1.5 years I have had the same debian install,
it started as woody when it was still in testing, It is now
Sarge (ie I track Debian's testing distro).

Before that I have tried various distros, all mostly RPM
(RH, MDK, Suse, Caldera...) There was generaly
someting with all of them that annoyed me
(eg RPM and dependancies, although there is now
apt4rpm, so I'm glad that the nature of open source
has allowed the RPM distros to now enjoy some
of Debians benifits)

At home I have setup a little server box that:
-uses samba as a pdc for the windows boxes
-nis/nfs for the linux boxes
-NATs a modem connection to share internet
-print server (CUPS)
-other stuff

I play about with new stuff on my box, but since keeping
it runnning has become more important, it has limited
what I can/can't try. I do try new 2.5 kernels but all their
new features. (eg I want to play with s/w suspend)

Outside of Linux:
I'm a 4th year studying a masters in computer systems
engineering.

-Thorben