[Menai-LUG] OT Introductions

David Goadby dg at pixel-plus.co.uk
Thu Feb 20 00:44:01 2003

Hi,

I have been in computers for 30+years. NCR, IBM etc.... Built my own Intel
4004 way back followed by 8008, 6800, 6809, Z80, 68000....
My favourite language is Forth with C as second choice. I am still learning
language and, although I skipped Perl, I love Python.

First Unix exposure was DEC UVAX/NUXIE and SCO Xenix on a PC-AT (what a lot
of floppies that was). After that met Unix in one flavour or another on Sun,
HP, PC's. SCO was always a dog regardless! I have to program in native DOS
and Windows too; but you goes where the money is. I mainly program computers
that do realworld things. I have computers driving knitting machines,
quarrying equipment, oil pipeline monitoring and ringing church bells! Even
the EH101 has some of my code in it - I have to shoot you now!

I discovered Linux a few years ago as a Red Hat cover disk but it was an
early copy and not too good. The first real installation was a 486DX66 under
SUSE6.?. I have kept with SUSE ever since but only upgrade to even versions.
Recently building a CNC lathe using RTLinux - I like to give computer
software muscles.

In house I have a mix of systems with a KVM on the console and Hummingbird
(X) for a remote unit at the end of an RS485 link.. I have an online weather
station and webcam which will move to Linux on an EPIA VIA board once I get
a 29 hour day.

If (when) I come to a meet I'm the one with grey hair!

David Goadby, Llyn Peninsula.