[SLUG] OT runlevels

Gavin Baker gavbaker at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 2 17:53:01 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 09:35, Adams, Jamie wrote:

> > >Just because we have a common practice, doesn't mean it's the best
> > >practice.
> > Sure. But then again I would like to see you typing fast on a Dvorak
> > keyboard...

I didn't say "common practice is never the best practice".

> Maybe this is something that will be addressed by the LSB. I think it would
> make sense to have a standard way of doing things, even if you have the
> option to change it if you want to.

sysv init / runlevels do provide a standard way of doing things :)

All linux distributions (and the sysv-based unix) use it. (The BSD's do
things differently).

In the old days of unix, when it's primary habitat was mainframes and
servers, a runlevel standard would have made sense. Now it runs on
everything from PDA's and laptops, to clusters of washing machines, I
don't think a standard for it would be very useful.

I think runlevels are a great feature when you tailor them to fit your
machine and it's purpose in life.

And the good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose
from. :)

> > Anyway, I give up since I'm sure we've bored enough people already.
>
> ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)

=)

Regards,
Gav