[SLUG] Honeynets

Stuart Thomas stuartthomas at clara.co.uk
Fri Aug 22 18:28:29 BST 2003

Hi,

I'm sure you're all quite sick of honeynets/farms/pots by now, but
Jamie did mention the spoof side of honeypots which is exceptionally
important. i.e. When you are running a vmware session of say RedHat
6.0, you may want to ensure that your W2K stack or whatever host OS you
us, responds interestingly, i.e. the stack doesn't give a W2K response,
maybe one of RH6.0 :-) .. See X-Probe/Nmap OS identification/spoofing
in google/your search engine.

Erm, anyway, thanks!..

Stu
p.s. has anyone used tarpit to any effect? (it holds on to tcp
connections, i.e. increases the time-out to drain the resources of
port-scanners)