[SLUG] Next meeting, and my retirement.

Adams, Jamie Jamie.Adams at homegroup.org.uk
Mon Mar 24 10:43:00 GMT 2003

Hi All,

Im currently waiting for a response from Gav so that I can tie down the
date of the next meeting. It will be sometime in April, but im not sure
when yet. It has been delayed but this is completely down to me.

I mentioned at the interim meeting last week that I find that I have
less and less time to give to coordinating the LUG and the things that
go with it. I have a job from 9-5, then 2 children to look after, this
leaves me little time do anything for myself, nevermind anything for the
LUG.

I have approached various people in the past and asked if they would be
willing to take over the little jobs that I do but I have not had any
luck so far.

So with regret, after I have organised this meeting, I will stand down
from coordinating the LUG.

I say with regret, and I do mean it. I am proud of what we have
achieved. When I first had the idea to start a LUG for Scarborough, I
expected to be the only person on the list! The fact that we actually
have meetings, and an active mailing list is something to be proud of as
most new LUGs do not get that far.

So, the LUG now needs someone, or some people, to volunteer some time to
take over and take forward what has already been done. Its not a huge
job, and please don't be under the impression that you need to be a
master of all things Linux to do it, because I certainly am not. You
will need to be organised (another thing that I am not), and capable of
working within a group of people. I have always been of the opinion that
it is not me that runs the LUG, it is the users that run it. The job of
a lugmaster is to simply do what is required by the members.

It is also the job of the lugmaster to promote Linux and the Usergroup
to the wider Scarborough community, this might be simply writing to the
Evening News once a month to tell them about our next meeting, or
writing to local businesses explaining the benefits Linux can bring to
them. There is also the website that needs updating and maintaining.
There are lots of things that can be done, that I simply have not had
the time or motivation to do.

Obviously the mailing list will stay active as long as there are people
using it, and anybody can organise meetings such as the one we had last
week which Al suggested. All active maintenance however will stop once
the next meeting is over.

I realise that people have other responsibilities, and pressures on
their time, but if you value what the LUG offers, and want it to
continue PLEASE DO VOLUNTEER! Maybe you can only do part of it, it may
take two or three people working together, but if you can do something,
please do offer.

If you want to mail me, or ring me to discuss this further (340142
during work hours or (07961 592625)), please feel free to do so.

I will obviously still be around on the mailing list, and I will be
attending meetings. It will be nice from my point of view to watch the
group evolve from a users perspective.

Anyway, enough of this. Sorry for rambling on so long.

Jamie Adams
(retiring lugmaster)
This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("Intended Recipient") to whom it is addressed. It may contain information, which is privileged and confidential. Accordingly any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message or any of its content by any person other than the Intended Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly prohibited. If you are not the Intended Recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible.

http://www.star.net.uk