[SLUG] NVidia kernel module

Ian Eade at IGM ieade at igmwebdesign.info
Mon Nov 3 18:23:05 GMT 2003

2.4.20-bf2.4

> What sound card is it? If its a SBLive 5.1 digital or similar
> (a card with an emu10k1 chip), then "modprobe emu10k1" will
> get you sound. If it works, add "emu10k1" to /etc/modules.
> Thats it. (oh, and add your regular user to the audio group:
> adduser <foo> audio).

The sound card is Realtek Audio AC97, anyone got any ideas?
I can now mount both the CD and the DVD by setting up 2 entries in fstab
using the same device but using a different file system listed for the
respective device, naturally when you want to swap between a CD and a
DVD you have to unmount the drive and then remount it with the other
filesystem.

> > Maybe after a while I'll find everything that Debian has to
> offer and
> > forget about Mandrake, however its going to take some
> persuading (not
> > to mention time and effort).
>
> I think you will be convinced after a few days use. Thats why
> I haven't done any debian advocacy in this thread ;), but a
> quick google for "Why Debian?" will give many sites like
> http://www.infodrom.org/Debian/doc/advantages.> html

Why does Debian use a different directory structure than others, for
example Apache's service is

/etc/sbin/apache

Not the "usual|expected"

/etc/rc.d/init.d/apache

Whilst most of these can be executed from a command line through a
simple [service name] [option] it takes a while longer to find the
actual directories and files

Despite trying the usual mount options in fstab my floppy drive won't
mount, anyone know the correct settings for fstab with Debian 3?

Regards

Ian

---