[SLUG] greetings and YDL query

Colm colm at madcatsolutions.com
Fri Apr 9 12:33:13 BST 2004

hi Gavin and Carl

Thanks for your comments.

I'm actually running OS 9.1 (as you say, Gavin, beige G3s won't boot OSX
- without what I think is a very dodgy patch, which would probably make
it run like a *brown* dog, not a yellow one!).

I have 2 x 20 Gb disks: one is partitioned (System and apps on one
partition, docs on the other), and the other is empty. It's the empty
one I want to use for YDL, natch!

I started the install process, but I got stuck at the partitioning point.

The only instructions I have were from "A Companion to Installing Yellow
Dog Linux 3.0.1" by Terra Soft, from
www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation. But it seems to be a bit
out of date, and doesn't quite match with what actually happens, or what
I'm asked. Either that or it's assuming I know things I don't know.

Anyway, I intend to go through it again today, and make notes of
everything that happens, so I have a sensible question to ask!!!

Thank you very much for your kind offer, Carl. Unfortunately Hebden
Bridge is not really local, and I don't drive. I have backed everything
up (though I have done *some* work since), so I'm fairly happy. But I
need to get the installation done soon, otherwise I'll spend my life
doing backups!

BTW, a bit of background:

I've spent the last 13 years using FileMaker (started with FM 1, now
using Pro 5.5), and the last 5 designing websites (started with Claris
HomePage, but now use BBEdit). Also some background in DTP using
PageMaker and Quark.

I want to learn PHP/MySQL, which is my main reason for going to the
Penguin, so I can design database-driven CMS websites. Also I'm getting
really hacked off with proprietary software, which I can't afford to
keep up to date. And as for William Henry Gates III, don't get me started!!!

Cheers

Colm