[SLUG] disk partitioning

Colm colm at madcatsolutions.com
Fri Apr 9 14:04:57 BST 2004

Hi Gavin, Carl (and others?)

I've tried installation again, and made a note of everything that
happened. Perhaps someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong? (There's
probably too much info here, for which I apologise, but I didn't want to
miss anything out.)

[in BootX, I'd selected "Force SCSI on" because my CD drive is an
external SCSI device]

Before the GUI loaded, the only worrying message was "Probing for
minitor type: Unknown monitor", but I guess I can sort that out later?

1. Language Selection = English (English)
2. Keyboard Selection = United Kingdom
3. Mouse Configuration = 1+ Button Mouse (ADB)
     [I also clicked "Emulate 3 buttons", though the guide didn't tell
me to]
4. Installation Type = Server
5. Disk Partitioning Setup = Manually partition with Disk Druid

6. Disk Setup

 In the top half of the screen I've got:

Drive /dev/hda (Geom: 38792/16/63) Model: ST320410A)

     hda6
     9546 MB

     hda7
     9546 MB

[presumably this is my partitioned Mac disk?]

Drive /dev/hdc (Geom: 39761/16/63) Model: WDC WD205AA-40BAA0)

     hdc5
     19535 MB

 [presumably this is my Linux disk?]

 In the bottom half are the two drives with their various partitions.

The guide says "Select the drive for YDL and click 'New'" - I selected
'/dev/hdc', and clicked 'New'.

It says "Select 'Apple bootstrap' from the 'File System Type' menu", but
there are only 3 options - 'ext2', 'ext3' and 'swap'. 'ext3' seems to be
the default, so I used that.

It says to create a 1 MB partition, Fixed size."

[I also clicked "Check for bad blocks".]

I had to select a Mount Point, or it wouldn't continue, so I selected
"/boot".

This seemed to work okay.

Then it says to select the drive and click 'New' again, and select
'swap' from the 'File System Type' menu, and create a 256 MB partition,
fixed size.

[When I select 'swap', 'Mount Point' gets filled in as '<Not Applicable>'.]

Then I get the error message:

"Error Partitioning

Could not allocate requested partitions:
Partitioning failed: Could not allocate partitions."

All comments gratefully received!

Colm