[SLUG] Talks / Demonstrations

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Feb 21 10:45:11 GMT 2004

On Saturday 21 Feb 2004 09:15, Al Girling wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 09:38:19AM +0000, jamie wrote:
> > Hiya,
> >
> > Since the first full meeting is coming up in March, I thought it would
> > be a good idea to get a list of subjects that people would like to see
> > talks/demonstrations on.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> OK Jamie, some things I'd like to see are;
>
> Using GIMP,
> LaTeX demo/basic introduction,
> Security steps for newbies,
> An intermediate guide to IRC (probably best on-line),
> kernel compilation (I believe this is being worked on),

That's right. I will do a kernel compilation talk for both 2.4 and 2.6 series
and I am currently working on it. However I DO NOT look forward to public
speaking and get the jitters just thinking about. Added to this the cries and
jeers when I get something totally wrong and well who knows; I may just curl
up in to a quivering heap.

Please be gentle....

On second thoughts lets get drunk first then who cares :)

> An intro to CVS,

Good one that. I have never used CVS and it could be useful. I would just like
to add "Has anyone here ever used MS SourceSafe (especially with VB6
integration)?" Crash... oppps... crash... swear... crash... you get my
drift :) Is my source code really safe?

> Compiling software in general (while I've successfully done this several
> times, it's been more by luck than judgement).

This is one I could do at some point as I tend to end up doing it quite often.
Geeeezzee what am I saying; please disregard above comment :)

> I'm trying to put together 'An Intro to vi/vim' myself which will
> probably take the form of an on-line tutorial.

Now there's an idea Al :)

And now for my list none of which have been done during my short time at the
LUG.

+ Basic shell script writing
+ Basic networking (I could do.... digging deeper & deeper)
+ Integrating Linux with Windows environments (eg: Samba etc)
+ Linux gaming. I don't do games BUT how far have games come under Linux?
+ Basic Linux admin in general (security, permissions, file system structure).
+ Basic Linux commands (eg: ls, wget, chown, du).
+ Configuring Apache (I have developing for multiple websites in mind here).
+ Configuring a mail server
+ Introduction to Perl (a language I have never used but remain interested
in).
+ PHP/MySQL

There's loads more but this is a start.

Please note that none of these are particulary urgent to me personally but may
be helpful (especially shell scripting) to both myself and others. There is
always something extra to learn even with the basic stuff that you may
already be familiar with.

King regards to all list members,

Paul.