[SLUG] Fedora Core 2 and X

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Sep 1 18:05:32 BST 2004

On Wednesday 01 Sep 2004 10:12, Jamie Adams wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 09:15, Stephen O'Neill wrote:

Hi Guys,

> > SNIP
> >
> > However, sometimes it does load - e.g. after 2 attempts it loaded
> > last night, then it failed to load twice, loaded once this morning,
> > and has now failed 3 times.
>
> In my non-expert position, I would say that your card simply doesn't
> like the VESA driver. My NVidia card used to be the same.

I agree with Jamie. You could try editing your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file,
finding a section called Device, then looking within the section for a
line similar to:

Driver "VESA"

and change it to

Driver "radeon"

AFAIK this should give you basic support for the Radeon graphics card
(but no 3D stuff)

> > I am running:
> >
> > XP2600
> > 1024mb ram
> > ATI Radeon 9600Pro
> > 120GB HD + 60GB HD (the latter has FC2 installed)
>
> ATI does offer it's own drivers for your card. You might have more
> success using these.

Again I agree with Jamie. Take a look at:

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2028

This explains how to patch Fedora to get the full capabilities offered
by the Radeon cards.

> > I will attach the log file if I succeed later on... if you see what
> > I mean...
>
> That would be great. I'm okay with XFree86, but I think Fedora is
> using the X.org server like everyone else now. I'm not sure what the
> config file looks like. Post it and i'll have a look.

Jamie is indeed right in saying that Fedora Core 2 now uses the X.org
server. I think X.org was a fork of XFree86 4.3.99 and so far the
config file has not changed much.

I use Slackware. Slack v9.1 used XFree86 4.3. Slack v10 uses X.org. When
I setup Slack 10 I just copied my XF86Config-4 file to xorg.conf
without modification and it worked fine. So what I am trying to say is
'not much difference so far'.

> > <SNIP>
> > Cheers in advance,
> >
> > Steve