[SLUG] Re: Hello

Pete pete at predwood.charitydays.co.uk
Sun Apr 17 18:32:57 BST 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 10:53 +0100, scarborough-
Madeline Parkyn wrote:
> Hello
>
> This is Madeleine, I came to the patents meeting a few weeks back.
>
> Just thought that I should let you all know that I've joined the list
> and am now lurking. I found the meeting very inspiring and useful. It
> has set me off on seriously exploring Linux. I'm hoping to transfer in
> the next few months, but as my work is largely design based I'll take
> in cautiously. Alarmingly, I keep reading that designers should steer
> clear of Linux.
>
> Thanks to you all for running a local group.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Madeleine
Hi
Welcome

Is that because most designers are MAC addicts and won't admit there is
anything to rival it?
Gimp is a brilliant program on Linux and will do most of what Photoshop
will do. Lacks a little of the Adobe finesse maybe but then it can be
downloaded for nothing whereas with Adobe you a talking serious money
and have have to pay more serious money to get upgrades.
Inkscape is the up and coming design package in Linux, still under
development but even now capable of all but the most demanding work. In
fairness I don't think it integrates with Gimp in the same way that
Illustrator integrates with Photoshop yet.
If you really want to run Photoshop or Illustrator then for a
subscription you can install Codeweavers Crossover Office which supports
both (http://www.codeweavers.com)

Pete Redwood