[SLUG] OT: Browse the net super quick..

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 10:55:05 BST 2005

Ian Eade wrote:

>It also seems ironic that it appears that the website is written using
>java servlet pages, they have done for web speed what sloth's have done
>for the 100m world record.

Easy on the napalm Mr Eade.

I won't be pedantic and pick you up on your acronym expansion - that'd
just be silly. There are immense differences between JSP and servlets
though as I'm sure you recall from your MSc.

However, I would counter that it's important to not confuse server speed
with network speed. The server technology has no impact on the content
delivery, and given modern server power any server latencies are
negligable compared to those experienced on the network; or indeed the
server forking mechanisms for sites which receive vast volumes of hits.
I personally don't remember a time where I sat there twiddling my thumbs
just because the website was written in JSP - or any other server
technology for that matter.

I agree that JSP isn't the fastest executing choice of scripting
language, which means that if a site is written in it then it is chosen
for other reasons - code portability/re-usability; future enterprise
integration; future scalability using Sun's tiered enterprise server
(there are others on the list that understand this more than I).

Indeed, to bring on the point about requests being the main culprit for
a slow server response; frequently those sites with high volumes are the
very same that require this enterprise grade system to keep everything
manageable - so maybe there lies a false assumption: because high volume
sites tend to use tools such as JSP it appears that JSP is slow when in
fact it's just the server being overloaded?

And, in fact I disagree that the hammondgallery.co.uk example was in any
way bad. I thought considering that it has a menu system that only works
for JS users is of far greater concern, and given that I don't recall
many art gallery's looking that great when their paintings are covered
in tarpaulin I think it worked well - and interestingly, as if it
happened just to prove the point I found that the JSP parsed page
actually loaded faster than the site itself!

>How come the list emails are being duplicated?

Mine aren't. Maybe you're just special.

Steve