[SLUG] OT: Browse the net super quick..

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 20 09:50:47 BST 2005

Ian Eade wrote:

>Anyhow, I take it Steve that you are a fan of JSP and such like? I have
>nothing against it and yes it has some great capabilities, my analogy of
>speed was merely a passing comment and not intended to cause any
>offence.

No offence caused, I'm not a fan per sé but I've equally learnt through
~work experience~ that you can't just say something's crap and never
touch it again - as you said, certain tools fit certain needs.

>However I find a lot of JAVA technology (generic banding together of
>technologies) to be a reinvention of the wheel (from work experience),

How do you mean that it's a reinvention of the wheel?

>The hammondgallery.co.uk site did present usable content but this
>exercise proves that visiting the vast majority of websites with text
>only presentation is an academic exercise, aside from testing the only
>real use would be for blogs and forum boards etc where content
>deliverance is clearly secondary to content presentation.

Interesting. I presume that you're not an advocate for separating
content from presentation with CSS? (aside from the technical
implications, I'm talking purely about the principle).

>The menu on hammondgallery.co.uk is JS but is duplicated in plain text
>and should cater for all users,

Ah, that'll be that plain text list of links buried in the middle of the
content? :P

RFE: can we have a flashing neon sign please? Oh, no, wait.. flashing...
hmmm, another can of usability worms.

>however the more idiot proof you build
>something the better the idiot gets!

Are you calling me an idiot?

>And thank you for thinking that I am special, but why does that entitle
>me to double emails?

You were clearly chosen by God - and it's not for us to question his
mysterious ways.

Steve