[SLUG] Re: How remove boxes round open office rows of text?

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sat Aug 13 19:45:11 BST 2005

On Sunday 07 Aug 2005 13:50, pete at predwood.charitydays.co.uk wrote:
> On Sunday 07 August 2005 12:15, Richard Lung wrote:
> > I scanned some pages onto Word at the library.
> > Opening the document with Open office ( as an OCR document ) every row of
> > text is closed in a box of straight lines. How do I remove the boxes, so
> > I can edit the rows normally as one body of text?
> > The select all and copy functions dont work in the boxed mode.
> > There's no other progam the text will transfer to, to do the editing.
>
> Open Office translates Word documents that have been scanned rather
> differently. Better to save them as 'text' (.txt) in the first instance
> rather than Word's Rich Text Format (.rtf)
> To get out of it now, from Open Office, save the document as text, re-open
> the saved version and then save it again in Open Office format (or Word if
> you must). You will loose any formatting but chances are that it has been
> junked anyway. If you have set up styles (press F11 to bring up the most
> common ones) it should be a fairly straightford process to click on each
> paragraph to re-format.
>
> Pete Redwood

Thankyou Peter,
With your help and after much time-wasting,
I found the only way I could avoid the boxed lines from opening a Word
document with Open office, was to right click on the original Word document
and select Open with... from the menu. From the Open with... panel, select
More applications to Editers to kwrite. This way produced the text that could
be selected and copied to paste in Open Office and be edited freely. ( The
kwrite file itself couldnt be saved but wasnt needed. )
I couldnt make work the alternative route of Save As... text, or in whatever
other alternative, from Open Office.

Richard Lung.