[SLUG] Nicely done display

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sat Dec 10 19:05:57 GMT 2005

> On Wednesday 07 Dec 2005 20:55, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
>>SNIP
>>
>> I might be being ignorant, but I don't think I know you Richard ..
>> did
>> you discover us through the library display or have you been a
>> member
>> a while?
>>
>>SNIP
>>
>> I will be dropping off some Ubuntu install discs probably tomorrow
>> lunchtime if that's any use.

> I found out about SLUG thru the fone book a year or so ago. And your
> contact
> installed Mandrake 10 when I got a new computer. It was doubtful
> whether the
> installation would succeed.
> That was nothing to the despairing difficulties I encountered or made
> for
> myself over installing Windows with my first computer, after Set-up
> failed.

SLUGs active membership will have changed completely since then I think.

> Until Newbies like me can install Linux unaided and without daunting
> compatibility problems with peripherals, then Linux wont be a
> practical OS for mass personal use.

Aye, and the problem with that is no-one actually installs Windows
either, it comes pre-installed.

Linspire is probably the one tackling that market best atm.

> Rather than myself, the people you need to reach are starting out in
> life with
> technical interests that will help develop the Linux system.

'Linux is for geeks', it's still true, but it's changing. I got a
strong sense from reading something in PC Pro this month that right
here, right now is a real danger point for Microsoft. Not only is
Linux building, but Apple are stronger and stronger. MS need to get to
that part of the buying cycle where people go "I could buy a PC now,
but I may as well wait a few months and get Vista". Right now it seems
a long way off yet.

> I dont know whether Ubuntu install is the final corner Linux needs to
> turn to
> reach the mass market. I shant be needing it thankyou, because
> Mandrake 10
> works well enough for Wimp use. ( I shrug off bugs and failures. )

No problem. A few discs seem to have been taken though.

> Occasionally, Ive needed essential SLUG help with Linux program
> documentation,
> such as Jamie provided recently for the Gimp.

Excellent. Grokking the Gimp is a great book with a terrible title
imho, but don't let that put you off. I'm using The Gimp in a much
better way now and I've not reached a quarter of the way through the
book yet.

Cheers