[SLUG] Copying files from one machine to another

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 11:23:37 GMT 2005

>> I had tried, previously, to get NFS to work, but didn't manage that
>> either, but I think I'll have a wander through that again now, since
>> I've re-installed FC4.
>
> So, NFS, according to the RH9 GUI list of services, NFS is ticked so
> it should be up and running, I've added the share to /etc/exports,
> I've exportfs'd it, and then on the FC4 machine, I try to mount it
> (mount 192.168.0.69:/home/j /home/J/j) and it says, after a ponder,
> mount to NFS server (IP) failed, server is down.
>
> So I'm all washed up and need a hint.

Out of interest, ps -x | grep nfs shows seemingly 8 instances of nfsd,
but top doesn't show anything that says nfs, but I don't understand
the significance of either.

Just one other thought .. I presume yer standard broadband router with
its restrictions on things like FTP applies those restrictions to
users outside the local network. So where it shows FTP as disabled,
I'm presuming that's disabled for people outside the network. On this
side, locally, it should just be routing packets .. or am I wrong
about that?