[SLUG] Copying files from one machine to another

arden arden at nildram.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 12:27:35 GMT 2005

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 06:17:16 -0500 (EST)
john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

> >> I had tried, previously, to get NFS to work, but didn't manage that
> >> either, but I think I'll have a wander through that again now, since
> >> I've re-installed FC4.
> >
> > So, NFS, according to the RH9 GUI list of services, NFS is ticked so
> > it should be up and running, I've added the share to /etc/exports,
> > I've exportfs'd it, and then on the FC4 machine, I try to mount it
> > (mount 192.168.0.69:/home/j /home/J/j) and it says, after a ponder,
> > mount to NFS server (IP) failed, server is down.
> >
> > So I'm all washed up and need a hint.
>
> Out of interest, ps -x | grep nfs shows seemingly 8 instances of nfsd,
> but top doesn't show anything that says nfs, but I don't understand
> the significance of either.
>
> Just one other thought .. I presume yer standard broadband router with
> its restrictions on things like FTP applies those restrictions to
> users outside the local network. So where it shows FTP as disabled,
> I'm presuming that's disabled for people outside the network. On this
> side, locally, it should just be routing packets .. or am I wrong
> about that?

>ok off the wall idea you say you cant get shh running on the source machine ?

this is a one off transfere  so why not boot the box of knoppix that sould see your existing partitions and mount them

open knoquerer fish:// ip address other machine

sould give you a nice graphical ssh connection to the other box

then just drag and drop from one window to another job done

Arden