[SLUG] January meet date

Jamie Adams whostolemypen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 14:17:34 GMT 2005

> > I'm using Mandrake 10.1 at the moment. Power management is okay, but
> > it doesn't shut down the computer properly. Might have to give the new
> > Suse a try myself.
> >
> Are you using ACPI or APM. You can try both by passing:
>
> apm=on acpi=off    #To enable apm / disable acpi
>
> OR
>
> apm=off acpi=on   #To enable acpi / disable apm
>
> via lilo or grub parameters. None of my desktop PCs will shut down correctly
> if I use ACPI but APM works fine for them all. I think it's because they're
> all older machines with non-compliant ACPI bios or have broken ACPI bios.

Well, my laptop really sucks ass with Linux. 'scuse my french.

Swapping ACPI for APM does solve some problems, but unfortunately
kills my network card, and bizarrely numlock key for some reason.

My wireless card seems to be a complete no-go. I looked it up
beforehand and it is supposed to be supported but for some reason
Linux just doesn't like it in my particular configuration. Bummer.
They are pretty cheap though, i'll buy another when funds allow it.

I still have the Ibook that I can bring down, though it's currently
running Net-BSD. Wireless works fine on it.

If anyone has any pcmcia wireless cards, it would be really great if I
could test them in my laptop at the meet to see if they work.

Cheers,