[SLUG] Wireless network card (was January meet date)

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Jan 17 17:52:49 GMT 2005

On Monday 17 January 2005 14:17, Jamie Adams wrote:
> My wireless card seems to be a complete no-go. I looked it up
> beforehand and it is supposed to be supported but for some reason
> Linux just doesn't like it in my particular configuration. Bummer.
> They are pretty cheap though, i'll buy another when funds allow it.

Which wireless card are you using? I ask this because it took me a while to
figure out how to get mine to work and if yours is the same then I may be
able to help.

One trap I fell straight into was that wireless extensions were not enabled in
the kernel. After that I had to compile some drivers against the kernel
source and install the wireless extensions package. And all this just to get
the machine to recognise the card and get wireless extensions running.

It took nearly as long to work out what I actually needed to pass to the card
to get it to work with my wireless access point but did so eventually. I have
never had it working adhoc with another wireless card but this is because I
have not tried to be honest. Also to add insult to injury it seems very
temperamental when I change any of the settings but once you have got it
going it's fine.

Be persistant with it. If people have claimed to get the card working under
Linux then it's probably possible.

Regards,

Paul.