[SLUG] Wiki [Was:We can't see how, yet]

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Apr 5 09:21:19 BST 2006

> We've had an offer from another group to install a perl based wiki
> which
> they have put lots of time into defending it against spammers. On the
> other hand it doesn't look as pretty as MediaWiki(though word is we
> can
> change the CSS).
>
> AbuseMod is the preferred choice of the server admins, MediaWiki is
> expected to be the better of the PHP variants.
>
> So, we need to decide which to choose:
>
> AbuseMod: e.g. http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage
> MediaWiki: e.g. http://www.cruxzine.co.uk/index.php/Main_Page
>
> Let me know your thoughts/preferences.

Since we are a closed group, I wouldn't have thought protection
against spammers would be our main concern. I'd have thought we could
just put it behind a password protected directory.

On second thoughts, I guess we want to publish the wiki. Can we
restrict changes to a closed group (us), but viewing to everyone else?

On third thoughts, if we allow open contributions we might learn a
hell of a lot.

Just thinking aloud really, not passing the buck, I'll take a look
myself in due course.