[Scarborough] Re: [SLUG] SUSE installation sound problems

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Thu Apr 13 10:34:21 BST 2006

> Before I answer your questions, I just noticed that the DVD drive is
> connected to the sound card (I did that, it was connected to the
> motherboard) by an analogue cable. So I'm asking the DVD drive to do
> the DAC work, whereas I'd say I'd be better off asking the soundcard
> to do that, so I'm going to look into that.

I removed the DVD->sound card analogue cable. No change. It probably
wasn't using it anyway. So the sound is being taken from the DVD
through the motherboard to the soundcard where it's being converted to
analogue and pushed out through the speakers.

I just tried headphones in the green socket and it sounds the same, so
it's not the speakers.

So, it's not the speakers, it's not the DVD drive itself but it is to
do with the DVD drive because MP3s play fine.