[SLUG] Monday's meeting

David Webster dave at dave-webster.com
Wed Jun 28 10:07:55 BST 2006

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> Hi ppl
>
> As I think Bob said, Monday is the next SLUG meeting.
>
> The default theme from Linux Format would be their feature on Hardcore
> Linux which isn't so much a single article as a set of smaller things
> to try. Maybe someone would like to try out one of the following and
> then present their findings on Monday:
>
> Covering your tracks in Firefox
> Artistic drawing in Inkscape
> Host your own blog using Wordpress
> Using macros in Calc
> PHP: Securing the shell
> Set smart Internet filters using DansGuardian
> Open-Xchange: set up and run an open groupware server
>
> I don't think I'll be able to contribute any of those, but if someone
> else would that would be great. Let me know if you'd like me to send
> you the article. The mag also reviews Ubuntu 6.6 so if anyone's
> installed that, bring it along and talk us through it.
>
> Otherwise, there's Digital Scarborough to sort out (there is a date
> for it but the website doesn't tell us), maybe it's Steve's last SLUG
> meeting, and I have questions about the LPI learning programme.
>
> All that, and more, on Monday night.
>
> Oh, and the meeting after this is supposed to be "How Linux beats
> Vista". I sense another debate.

Myself and Bob have been looking at Ruby, so I was thinking about doing
a 10 minute presentation on that.  Inkscape I can do, and so Wordpress,
but I'd need a web connection for Wordpress.  My PC is currently running
Ubuntu 6.06, so I can bring my box and show that, Inkscape and Ruby.

Simon wolverton has installed the beta of Vista, so he may be willing to
do a talk or presentation on that.  I you're reading this Simon, you may
want to install Wink [WWW http://www.debugmode.com/wink/ ] as it will
let you make flash-based screen capture videos.

Dave